Thursday, December 11, 2008

Simplify!

While on this Thoreau jag, I need to apply his advice -- "Simplify! Simplify!". Having had a yesterday that spun out, I did not allow myself to fit in my commitment to write every day. I realize that an examination of priorities is in order. I could have skipped my Facebook check-in. I could have skipped a game of Spider Solitaire. I could have cut five minutes off my nap. I could have completely avoided participating in job politics.

I did not run out of time; I mismanaged it.

The God-moment of the spinout day came as I drove home from work. On the freeway heading east on a bright California winter afternoon, I noticed the nearly full moon. To borrow a line from Stephen Crane's Red Badge of Courage, the moon looked "pasted in the sky like a wafer."
Dimmed in the daylight, it provided a promise of brilliance once darkness came. Hope. Promise. Beauty. Simplicity.

No comments: