Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pillow Book thoughts

My brain has checked out for the most part. My eyelids feel a bit heavy. Thus, I'm going to borrow Sei Shonagon's model in her fascinating glimpse into imperial court life during the Heian period of Japanese history, The Pillow Book. In it, she makes lists of her likes and dislikes, discloses gossip-like tidbits of her surroundings, offers no-holds-barred opinions, and invites her readers into the little known workings of the court.
Tonight, in the brisk waning hour, I work slowly and clumsily at my task, but I can make a Pillow Book list.
What I Loved Today
  • Looking out across my school campus to the ocean, which reassures me every day.
  • Coming home early to a festively decorated home.
  • Writing notes of thanks to friends and colleagues who have supported me in trying times.
  • Chatting with my 95-year-old mother online about letters I had written to my grandmother as a child.
  • Watching the surf sparkle in the moonlight.
  • Laughing at Lolo, my Tonkinese cat with immense blue eyes, as she somersaults through the kitchem, tossing her catnip toy.
  • Reflecting on friendships near and far.

No comments: