Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

The children are nestled all snug in their beds -- the children who are now adults, some of whom have children of their own. I have read one grandson and my only granddaughter "'Twas the Night Before Christmas," as my father did for me as a child, and as I have done for my children for every Christmas since their birth. I have served a meal of chili and hot chocolate to warm the body and the spirit. I have raised up my candle in church as we sang "Silent Night." I have wrapped the last gift and baked the last cookie. I have included the lonely, the grieving and the estranged in my celebration.
With consistent attention to my attitude and with reliance on my spiritual source, I have warded off any tendency toward Christmas blues. For the most part, I did not cave in to any anxiety I may have experienced as I wondered with whom and just how I would spend this Christmas Eve. By doing that, by living in the moment and by refusing to over-plan with high expectations of my own or of others, I enjoyed a loving, uplifting and pleasant evening.
This holy night of bringing light into the world has brought light into mine.

No comments: