Monday, June 3, 2013

On my table


When my friend shared a list titled “June Photo Challenge,” it intrigued me. I hopped aboard, and each day already has brought delightful surprises. The process of finding an opportunity to snap a photo that will match a particular topical phrase has provided blessed moments of reflection. A backstory unfolds with each photograph. It doesn’t even matter much if the photos are particularly good ones. The exercise has offered me time to pause and contemplate, time that I might not otherwise have taken for pleasurable pursuits.
Pleasurable, that was, until today.
Today I experienced a bit of dread when I read the Day 3 phrase: “On my table . . .” All I could envision was the public humiliation that would follow once I shared a photograph of my workspace table, which, right now, has piles of books, a journal, two cameras, papers and letters, three framed photographs and a bowl of cat food on it. Amidst all that is my laptop. Ugh!
Then I thought about my dining room table, which sports a 25-year old sculpture called “Circle of Friends”. This had visual possibilities until I remembered that one can find this sculpture in nearly every sidewalk shop in Mexico. I like mine, though, because it connects me with a real circle of spiritual warriors in my life who have similar sculptures in their homes. It also symbolizes the many circles of friends and family who have gathered around my table over the years for food and games and conversation. Additionally, on this particular  morning,  the telltale dust of a few days would never pass the white-glove test, and I can hear my mother’s tsk-tsk-tsk voice in my head.
As has happened each day, however, I found myself serendipitously inspired as I walked into my living room. Why had I had not thought of this particular table before? Made from a kwihi tree, native to the desert-like climate of Aruba, the table has survived numerous moves since my parents bought it in Oranjestad around 1960. My father managed the only resort hotel on Aruba at the time. This table became a major piece of memorabilia from their years on the island. They always said it looked like a couple dancing, if observed from the proper angle.
I’m not sure exactly when it came into my possession, but it has traveled from Aruba to Arizona to South Carolina to several spots in California. It did not come lightly in any sense of the word. It weighs well over 100 pounds because it is, after all, a tree. As I recall, some sibling dispute arose over it, as well. Nonetheless, it has weathered the inevitable complaints of movers who struggled with its bulkiness and weight. It is my living room’s conversation piece.
Today on the table are two books: The View From Diamond Head, Royal Residence to Urban Resort and The Graphic Work of M.C. Escher. My teaching colleague and friend from MidPacific Institute, Allyson, gifted me with the first book upon my departure from my three years on Oahu. It reminds me not only of her generosity and kindness; it helps me recall my view of Leahi (Diamond Head) from my classroom window in Manoa. It brings back memories of my trek to the Honolulu landmark’s summit and my idea that I would make my fortune by opening a booth to sell Tylenol at the trailhead, where weary tourists would pay handsomely for relief from the aches and pains sure to follow their hike.
My choir colleague with the voice of an angel, Lisa, gifted me with the second book after we visited an Escher exhibit in San Diego’s Museum of Art. She was visiting me from her home in Albemarle, North Carolina, on her debut trip to California. We laughed and sang our way through San Diego County from the moment of her first view of the state, eyes agog at seeing palm trees everywhere, to her departure a week later. As it happened, she, an Escher enthusiast, topped off her Balboa Park experience with a tour of his work.
Thank you, whimsical photo challenge, for directing my sight to what’s “on my table”.

No comments: