Friday, July 16, 2010

Beautiful day in the neighborhood

  Coming from a neighborhood where the dreaded "codes, covenants and restrictions" of a homeowner's association prevail, I find particular delight in visiting my dear friend Lydia in rural West Virginia, where the nearest neighbor is barely visible through the woods. Though she rues increasing development in the area where she has lived on her beloved 18-acre Iris Mountain property for that past 40 years, she still has the pleasure of privacy in a setting where the sights, sounds and smells of nature prevail.
Zoning regulations, for the most part, don't exist, although this fact has roused the interest of locals who fear that developers theoretically could come onto vacant property and build anything from a chemical plant to an adult bookstore. The issue came to a head when one neighbor, in a deliberate, although facetious, attempt to call attention to the issue informed the local governmental officials that he wanted to have a roller coaster in his yard. Much to their surprise, they could find nothing in the law that would prevent this.
  Thus, the Simpsons are on board a roller coaster on the property of George Farnham, who has organized, among other things, "Outhouses of Unger" to protest development with a bit of whimsy. The Simpsons, along with the Midas Muffler Man, Santa Claus, Wonder Woman and assorted other characters, demonstrate not only Farnham's humor with a purpose, but also provide entertainment for visitors like me.
And to think that my son recently got a warning ticket from the security patrol for parking on the street instead of in my driveway on a recent visit to my neighborhood. Admittedly, I can feel secure in an area where strange vehicles cause alarm. On the other hand, I need permission to plant a tree. Or build a deck. Or change a window into a sliding door. Should I paint the house a different color? Unthinkable.
   I suppose I won't even bother to ask if I can have a way larger-than-life Paul Bunyan in my backyard.
   http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06183/702858-85.stm

No comments: